Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:48:29 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      alternators, voltages, rebuild, idiocracy

Hi,

thought I would tell my tale of partial alternator rebuild and false diagnosis, maybe others won't make my mistake :)

my '86 syncro has had an alternator whine, increasingly loud under electrical load, for a few months now. Recently is has been getting louder and after adding aux. lights I thought it best to fix it.

Measured voltage at alternator was around 13.5, at battery it was 13.4 or so. I thought this too low. Swapping some used, but within wear range brushes didn't change voltage output nor eliminate whine. Next step was to take alternator apart and check bearings. The slip ring end bearing was dry, and a bit worn. I packed in some grease, rubbed up the slip rings with garnet paper and put it back together. Yes, I know, not a complete job, but at that time I didn't have much time and I couldn't get pulley nut off to access other bearing.

Outcome was that nothing changed.

So when I had more time I took the alternator from my I4 westy (parked), borrowed an air impact wrench (to get pulley nut off, goodness how the impact wrench works like magic), and bought some new brushes. Not a new regulator, just the brushes, $12 for the pair. I wanted to try soldering in new brushes.

Also did some internet reading and found that bad diodes can cause whining under load. That made me more convinced to just swap in my known good alternator and play with the whining one later.

I took apart my spare alternator, cleaned connections etc, made sure of solder connections too diode plate. Then I used a 300W soldering iron to melt solder on regulator to remove brushes and solder in the new ones. Some pics on this website shows how to do that http:// www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/alternator/alternator_rebuild.htm

The soldering was easy peasy, easier than I thought it would be. But a good big soldering iron is needed.

When reg was out I checked that using procedure (outlined here http:// www.humanspeakers.com/audi/alternator.htm), using power supply, light bulb and voltmeter.

"If you would like to test the functioning of the voltage regulator, you will need a variable power supply that can vary from 0 up to about 15 volts at about 3-5 amps, and a voltmeter. Attach "-" to the connection under one mounting bolt hole and "+" to the tab on the other side of the brushes. Set the voltage at zero and turn on the power supply. Hold a parking light bulb so it is being energised by the two brushes. Start to raise the voltage - the light will come on faintly and slowly get brighter. As it reaches around 14 volts, the light should suddenly go out. Lowering it back to around this voltage should cause the light to come back on again. Now drop the light bulb, as it has become quite hot! Please don't hurt yourself or your tools - you should only be doing this if you have experience working safely with electricity."

I found a different result, light would increase in brightness as power supply input increased until an indicated around 12.5 V on voltmeter, the light would go off and voltmeter would indicate 14.2 V. Mmm, well the reg seems to work, it is regulating but at 12 not 14. Ah well, lets see how it works in situ

Ok, everything put back together, contact grease, shiny connections, everything. Started van up, no whine, good. Then I checked voltages at alternator and at battery....

13.5 at alternator, 13.4 at battery (13.47/13.38 actual values). What the heck?!

Then followed much connection cleaning and ground checking. I didn't find any poor looking connections but i was convincing myself I was on the right track. I even added an additional ground from engine to body. None of that made any difference.

Today i was in workshop and I thought I would check the hand held volt meter I had been using throughout this fandango, using my variable power supply and a bench top plug-in phillips voltmeter.

Well it seems that the hand held voltmeter differed from the bench top voltmeter by about 0.5 V.

I took the bench top out to the van and checked the alternator... 14 V at alternator, 13.9 V at battery. I need a third voltmeter to truly convince myself, but I am suspecting the hand held meter is in error.

Still a 0.1 volt voltage drop, something that running a new wire will help.

Morals of the story: 1. soldering in new brushes is easy and cheaper than new reg. Good to do on your spare reg. 2. get a good voltmeter and check it once in a while. check it more than once in a while if you have a crappy tire model like mine (it seems to need fresh batteries to read well)

cheers

alistair '86 syncro 7 passenger '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/ http://shufti.wordpress.com