Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:47:10 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Go Westie? Might be worth the $

I am not affiliated with that business..

I saw a Go Westie Vanagon in person yesterday in the California desert. BC Plates, driven by some wealthy-looking retirees, I would guess. A newer medium blue one with a Go-Westie soft luggage pack up on te roof and Go Westie license plate frames. Looked to have some sort of fancy light set-up in the grill. Other than that, it appeared in better than new condition, like they just got it from the shop. Perfectly spotless inside and out without any drips or odd noises..a standard transmission. I looked into the windows and watched the owners drive off but didn't talk to them.

I have to say, if I was wealthy and wanted a small camper vehicle, that kinda "better than new" Vanagon might be something I would like. Easily as nice as those other small vehicles currently available and a nicer size, for sure, than say a Sprinter-based Campmobile...Probably around the same cost as a Mercedes or a Sportmobile but so much more manageable.

I was sitting (Saturday) on the main street of a small desert town watching the first "springtime" out-pouring of city-based campers coming out to "camp" on the first nice weather weekend since before Xmas...and it is pretty gross, the size of what the So Cal folks seem to want to take 'camping' The size of some of the motorhomes these people drive is somewhat excessive, IMHO. Watching them try to negotiate these behemoths through the mountains is amusing. Some look large enough to easily hold 3 vanagons, inside.

(and, NVC...Californians really LOVE their Harleys. They are as common as rocks in the desert on weekends. Groups of hundreds come thundering past, all in a line, leather fringe waving..german helmets gleaming..loud pipes causing the earth to shake....One of my pastimes has been to go up on Montezuma Grade (a sinuous mountain pass nearby) and watch them attempt to negotiate the corners....lots of scraping and sparks, some amusing shifting and braking going on, etc etc. Harley people are much stranger than us Vanagon folk.... Don Hanson