Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:07:11 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Radio stays on - a clever trick for a fake Accessory Position
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

re "There is no "Accessory" position so having the key switch turn off the radio means no radio while waiting or camping with the engine off."

that's true, and I wire my radios to work with the key off... which means you have to be sure to turn the radio off every time you park the van.

but ....there is a 'cheater way'. I read about this on this list perhaps ....pretty clever. and that is to use the 'key is in the ignition' function to control radio power. you know, the old key buzzer circuit.

I wouldn't think drawing much power through that circuit would be smart, but using it with a relay for radio control is great. that way, you can have engine off and radio on, you just need to have the key inserted, but not turned at all.

just don't do some dumb radio wiring - I have seen LOTS of that ! ..................like get power from the wrong place, and fry a ground connection at the instrument cluster for example- stuff like that. Don't do that. Do good careful work.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Hargrave" <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:49 AM Subject: Re: Radio stays on