Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:17:03 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Radio stays on
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Late 80s and this was a Becker thing & not just VW. The Becker radios in Mercedes and BMWs also needed the security code. Before the code, you had to drive to the dealership where they removed the faceplate and reset the radio with a special box.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave 256-656-1924

Our Web Sites: www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.andyshotsauce.com

I don't know what year it starts ... perhaps late 80's, and by early 90's for sure.

if you see a VW or original equipment radio in a VW with a little 'key' icon on it, it is a code radio.

on a code radio, if the power is disconnected from it ( as in theft ) or even if the battery is disconnected or goes dead flat, the radio will not work until you enter the code into the radio. . the display ( they are all digital display ) will show EEEE I think, or 'safe' or something like that...if it's gone into 'I need my code' mode.

what you need to know is : one, what the 4 digit code is, and two, how to enter it.

I had one dead on like that on a customer's VW car once. The dealer said 'maybe it's 1, 1, 1, 1, try that' and it was that and I got the radio to come on.

I forget the exact trick right now, you have to hold two buttons at once.....something like that, to get it into code accepting mode, then enter the correct code, say 4681 into the display with the right buttons.,

then it'll work. so ...if you do see a working code radio with a key icon on it ... don't disconnect it or the battery without knowing the code ! Usually the only 'repair' is to buy a rebuilt code radio with code, I got one for under $ 150 once.

also.....you can get a little gizmo, or make one , to connect a common 9v battery to the cigarette lighter. with that plugged in, as long as the cig lighter receptacle is hot all the time........that will preserve memories and you can replace the car's battery etc.

the newer the car, the more you never want to disconnect the battery unless you really know what you are doing. this code radio thing is a good example.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:55 PM Subject: Re: Radio stays on