Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:24:21 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Snow, 4wd vehicles and syncros

Not my experience with my Syncros. Perhaps I don't drive like you. I have done one emergency maneuver with a Syncro, at highwy speeds (roughly 100kph, 60 mph). Vehicle in front of me (miata) spun out. I swung out of his lane, on to the shoulder, and then around him. I'm sure without the syncro traction I would have spun out on the shoulder or median.

The side roads (what I was travelingon) here in Northern Virginia (Tyson's/Great Falls area) are twisty, not particularly well banked, with little if any shoulder.

Of course, I automatically drive differently in snow than on drive pavement (give myself more space, prepare for turns a lot further back, etc.) Not all folk do (and the consequences are evident by the SUVs in the medians, and the interesting donut patterns in the snow at intersections.)

The thing most folk forget when driving 4 wheel drive vehicles, is that the drive train is great for getting moving, but braking and turning still rely on the same principles that affect 2 wheel drive vehicles. Newton's first law of motion.