Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:49:37 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Snow, 4wd vehicles and syncros

all's well that ends well. Take care, David

---- David Marshall <mailinglist@fastforward.ca> wrote: > > > Just using this as an example of how to get your Syncro out of control due > to it's 4WD.  Not saying this is how you should drive - I reserve > that for empty parking lots, off road and other places where I have no > chance of hurting someone else. > > David Marshall > VW > Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider > > http://www.hasenwerk.ca > > On Sun, January 31, 2010 13:53, > mcneely4@cox.net wrote: > > So, 90 degree turn (a corner in other > words) at 50km ph (slightly over 30 > > mph)? Well, you maybe, but > I'm glad you don't drive in my neighborhood. > > 4WD exists to get > you going, not to get you and others killed. > > > > David > Mc > > > > > > ---- David Marshall > <mailinglist@FASTFORWARD.CA> wrote: > > > >> Now, > take a 90deg > >> intersection at 50 km/h like you would in the > dry only cover it in ice > >> and > >> then a layer of > snow on top of that.  Do it in a Syncro and then do > >> it in a quattro.  With the Syncro you will have the > back end come out > >> because those wheels are going to spin > while the fronts do nothing other > >> than get slowed down by > the snow.  One the rear wheels start spinning > >> > you will start to loose control.  In effect you better be > quick or > >> else you will get into a horrible > spin.  With an all wheel drive like > >> the Audi > quattro it is always 50/50 front and rear so one end won't spin > >> even for an instant faster than the other end.  The > older Torsen > >> diffs would pull power away from the wheels > that want to spin and the > >> newer electronic systems do the > same as well.  The new Subarus are > >> pretty good > too! > >> > >> Not sayign the Symcro is bad, just that > there > >> are better much 4WD systems out there! > >> > >> David Marshall > >> VW > >> > Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider > >> > >> > HasenWerk > >> http://www.hasenwerk.ca > >> > >> On Sat, January 30, 2010 23:04, Kim > >> Brennan > wrote: > >> > So the Washington DC area got the snow I > >> predicted earlier in the week > >> > (helps to have > good weather > >> models...and then to trust them.) About 6 > >> > inches in my immediate > >> area (Tyson's Corner, > VA, on DCs western side.) > >> > > >> > I had > >> some errands to run and headed out in my Jaguar X-type > (manual > >> > > >> transmission, all wheel drive.) > I've got some Vredestein severe winter > >> > rated tires on > it (less than 3000 miles on them. Didn't really have > >> any > >> > trouble, but (as I had noted earlier with this vehicle) > the > >> majority of > >> > the power goes to the > rear, and in turns it is not > >> difficult at all to > >> > break the rear loose from the road. Mine is > >> > a 2002, which uses a Viscous > >> > Coupler (later they went > away from > >> that.) > >> > > >> > I > then stopped in at the house and changed > >> vehicles to my 91 > Syncro > >> > passenger van (non-GL, with an SVX > >> > engine). This vehicle as the Nokian > >> > tires > >> > > > >> > > >> Uh. Night and day. While the Jag is > competent, the Vanagon Syncro is > >> > otherworldly. Never > had trouble, even in turns, same set of roads > >> too. > >> > > >> > I love my Syncros. :) > >> > > > >