Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:06:10 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Old Popular Mechanics - Make Your Own Camper
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Dave,

Read the text that goes along with the photo of the fifth wheel trailer on page 151.

Did you really think I made this bit of tid? I am certain you should have read the entire article before you decided to call me a liar.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of |Dave Mcneely |Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 8:23 AM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: Old Popular Mechanics - Make Your Own Camper | |Admittedly did not read the entire article, but I am certain that it did |not advocate pulling a trailer via the rain gutters of anything. I did |read enough to notice the admonition to make sure the bumper is properly |reinforced before using it for a hitch to pull a trailer. Not a good |idea to use a car bumper, either, though it formerly was commonly done |-- when there were bumpers. | |The article also stated that a subcompact car could tow half its weight, |a full size car up to slightly more than its weight. I think that |modern subcompacts and compacts, and even some larger cars are |recommended not to tow. I know my Honda Accord ('97) and my Prius ('06) |owner's manuals state that one should not tow with them. | |So far as the great load of work to build a van conversion DIY, remember |that the magazine is _Popular Mechanics_, devoted to DIY. Back in the |day, the magazine featured many projects that were impractical from a |time and effort standpoint. Sort of like owning a Vanagon, and then |there one has to add from a cost standpoint, too. | |For a more practical approach to DIY van conversion, one could consider |what author John Heat Moon did. See his book _Blue Highways_. Things |don't have to be complicated or difficult to be good. | |Maybe you would and maybe you wouldn't have bought a VW Camper back int |eh day. In 1972 a pickup sold for around $3000, a Toyota Corolla for |around $2500. A VW Camper sold for more like $16K. | |David Mc |On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Peter T. Owsianowski wrote: | |> It was the '70's, Karl. Not much clear thinking back then? |> ------Original Message------ |> From: Karl Wolz |> To: Pete's Gmail |> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |> Subject: RE: Old Popular Mechanics - Make Your Own Camper |> Sent: Jan 29, 2010 09:30 |> |> Can you imagine pulling a 27 foot fifth wheel trailer attached to the |> rain |> gutters of a Datsun 510????? |> |> That's scary. |> |> Karl Wolz |> |> |-----Original Message----- |> |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On |> Behalf Of |> |Peter T. Owsianowski |> |Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:44 AM |> |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |> |Subject: Old Popular Mechanics - Make Your Own Camper |> | |> |*Some Prhydae Phun - how to make your own poptop camper. |> | |> |Check out the cool '70's ads, too. I forgot how outdoorsy they made |> |smoking |> |look. |> | |> |http://tinyurl.com/cuhw9u* |> | |> |** |> | |> | |> | |> | |> |-- |> |Pete |> |'79 Westy "Aardvark" |> |'87 Westy "Joe's Van" |> |WWW.Busesbythebeach.com |> |> |> |> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry