Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:11:48 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Adjusting Tie Rods / Steering
Comments: To: Paul <wognacious@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Paul, there is nothing wrong at all about replacing one bad tie rod on one side, and leaving the other along. and given that replacement parts are often inferior to original ones, I will leave a serviceable one in service on my own vans every time .

here's how to adjust the toe - the suspension must be settled, and van on level ground. drive or roll it forward a van length or two before doing the measurement.

using two yardsticks measure has high up toward 3 and 9 o'clock between the inner sides of the tires, ... compare the front to the rear measurement. aim for about 1/16th inch toe in. 1/8th inch toe in is about max you want. zero is not right. The wheels 'drag back' a bit in flight. Just 'just a little toe in'.

on balance.. I don't expect you to do this, but ... well, a simple crude way is get another spindle or hub, and flange ...rig it up with no wheel bearing seals, and WD-40 for wheel bearing grease....so you have very easily turning wheel mounting things. Mount that in a vice. spin it and let it stop. note where it stops, add some weight opposite the low spot. spin it again ..until it will stop turning anywhere...until there is no 'heavy spot.' that works amazingly well. not certified for 75 mph at high temps and high loads, but ok for moderate temporary use. or, put that tire on the back. or take just the one tire ( don't take the whole van .....I would not let any tire shop touch my whole van, I see so many screw ups and bad work it's just pathetic ) ....have that one tire spun balanced off the van.

I could say how to check camber and castor, but won't. also...tire pressure ? hope this is of some help, Scott www.turbovans.com

oh ! check roundness of tires .....they can have a flat spot, a cord hernia ,thread separation, etc. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul" <wognacious@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 6:24 AM Subject: Adjusting Tie Rods / Steering