Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:14:30 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lower ball joint tricks?
Comments: To: Chris S <szpejankowski@gmail.com>

Chris,

It's not worth buying the extensive press set needed if you can drop the parts by a tire store, as I did, and let the mechanic do it on his lunch hour. I paid about $20 cash, maybe less. Shop around, a tire store just a mile away wanted $70 (going by their book) for a vanagon front end.

You can also rent the proper kit from your FLAPS, but I'm tellin' ya, 20 dollars for out and in is better than buying a tool you may never use again, and less than the hassle of renting and figuring out for yourself how to use the rented tool and its myriad adapters. There's a good writeup about what tool to rent and how to use it in the archives, IIRC. Write me if you can't find it, I think I saved it, if you go that route.

I'm all for doing one's own work and all, but I like to take advantage of situations where somebody already owns an expensive tool, knows how to use it, and wants to make a few bucks.

I went to an NTB, I'm sure you have those in Atlanta.

Jim

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Chris S <szpejankowski@gmail.com> wrote: > I have complete set of '89 uprights with complete brake assemblies > which I wish to transplant to my '84. The trick is that I need to R&R > the lower balljoints. The ball joint tools from FLAPS are basically > useless and I can't press them out.  What sort of magic do I need to > perform short of taking them to a machine shop?   I did the V-dub > finger signs and a few chants in German to no avail. > > -- > Chris S. > Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur" >