Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:24:24 -0700
From:         Gregory Smith <gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM>
Subject:      Re: No Clutch....

>---- greg@pottsfamily.ca wrote: thanks, sounds like this is a job I can do myself (with mywife'shelp). All I need to do is find the slave cylinder and thebleedervalve. I assume I bleed it all out, then refill the reservoir,pumping until I get fluid out the valve again. Anything else to it?Thanks,David Mc

Actually, you have to keep the reservoir full, and check occasionally as you bleed it. Best to put a small clear hose on the clutch slave bleeder screw and bleed it into a glass jar. This helps you see when it's clean and has no bubbles. If you drain it empty first you will have a lot of air in the system and will also have a hard time getting pressure again.

I usually advise folks to use a pressure bleeder, but for the clutch the problem of wearing out the seals by traveling into unused territory in the bore just doesn't apply, since you usually always pump the clutch pedal through it's full travel in use. For the brakes, the pedal usually doesn't travel that far and corrosion can form in the bore.

Gregory Smith '88 Vanagon GL

Gregory Smith

Smith Design Studio Small Building Company Olympia, WA 360-239-0429 gregoryfsmith.com