Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:26:52 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Jack for 90 Multivan w/fiberglass molding???
Comments: To: Debra Clark <clark10006@cox.net>

A few more thoughts about tire changing. Try it by yourself on a sunny day in a suitable location (level, paved, close to coffee, etc). Do the full monty, swap out the spare for the wheel in question and put the spare back in the carrier.

Simple but not easy.

I have a large piece of pretty thick cardboard from an appliance box that I keep under the rear cushion above the engine cover. Unfolded it is a clean surface that will let you grovel in the gravel without taking souvenirs back into the cab or sending the cleaners kids to disneyland. Folded grubby side inside it stores well and can be recycled at your leisure or used until misfortune overtakes you once again. Put that big black plastic trash sack inside the folded bit. You'll likely put the really dirty wheel in there to shuffle off to the llantera or vulcanizadora for more air and a repair. Remember, it was only flat on the bottom. Have em change the valves and caps on all the tires while youre at it. Get a valve core tool and keep it in the glove box.

Putting the tire back in the carrier is a bit of a huff, so when you've let the van back to the ground, tightened the wheel nuts, that scissors jack will let you raise the carrier so you can latch it with the white plastic safety latch while you worry the bolt into place and tighten it with the lugwrench. The standard screwjack won't help you with this necessary but clumsy requirement. You may want to secure a longer bolt so it's an easier task.

When taking off the wheel in question, undo the lugnuts before you jack it up. Chock at least one wheel before jacking and set the parking brake firmly.

Other useful stuff is a box of those blue mechanics gloves, tuck some into a baggie and store in the glovebox with the valve tool, keeps evilness from ravaging your hands.

A couple of 'mechanics rags' stored in the old bath towel you wrap the jack and the 1/2" breaker bar and impact socket in before stowing it in a hallowed place of reverence. It did just save your day, remember?

For the fastidious, a set of coveralls, some plastic safety glasses, noilly prat, boodles, a shaker, ice and a large olive and come to mind.

Now the standard doodah lug wrench leaves you woefully undergunned for the wheel changing bit. You will need an impact socket and a 1/2" x 18" breaker bar to do the deed on your nuts. Available at Sears or Harbor Freight or FLAPs. If you've never had the wheel nuts off before, they could be cranky, so while it's still sunny in santee, loosen and retighten your wheel nuts on all four wheels using that new socket and bar. When the time comes you will be able to get them off.

Pack your own chute. If it aint tested, its broke. Maintaining these ancient road divas is not for the squeamish or faint of heart or finances.

Pensionerd. (syncro slave)

Now before you go, figure out how to get the hubcap off and on just for a warmup.