Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:37:16 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radio stays on

Most post-wall radios have two 12vdc inputs, one keepalive for the memory connected to unswitched power and one for the rest of the goodies connected to switched power and some have outputs to control antennas, mute input for your phone, and other connections for various dildi. The wire color for the memory input is orange on my BlaupBlaup Los Angeles. (the skyline series also included the Orlando and the Miami) The MP72 accepts 2gbSD cards for those with stable tastes. And the essential remote controls of course work with the Funline and Skyline series.

So wire the keepalive to unswitched, the power to a relay activated by the keyhole not empty signal, with of course appropriate fusings and musings. (write the musings indelibly on some tape that you apply to the new wiring and update the current track diagram clearly and date the change add the location of the fuse to the notes).

Blaup did some keycard radios such as the excellent arizona that needed a keycard to operate. These were period pieces in the 90s. Previously the Reno with it's two aux inputs and feng shui match to vanagon interiour was the instrument of choice to upgrade the heidelberg. And yes Martha they will accept your Pod. Later came the CompactFlash accessory that allowed one to store the MP3s and cruise them via the radio panel as if it was a CD changer. Any Blaup that has CD handling firmware in it will accept one of these. Add a Thummer remote and you're in. The only drawback to all this tiddling is that none of the remotes allow you to turn on/off the radio from the upstairs bedroom meaning you have to climb down and stumble through the rubble to turn it off after almost snoozing off to the strains of (1. Jimi, 2.John Williams, 3. Carlos Nakai or (enter your choice of snooze muse)). If you forget and you didn't have the following modifications you could be in for a bad morning.

Mark D. mentioned some time back how to reconfigure your relay panel so that the accessories feed off the house battery (for those who have such) keeping the starting battery for , well, starting and running the mosey essentials after you wake up.

Pensionerd.