Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:25:17 -0500
From:         Ed McLean <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Buzzing luggage rack on westy need advice

Although this is not directly related to the "buzzing" luggage rack problem I think it is a good time to share some information with the group.

I have been working for quite a while to reduce the noise inside my '86 Westfalia by adding sound adsorbing pads to inside of every accessible panel. The Westfalia luggage rack seems to cause a significant amount of wind noise and, since it is bolted to the drum-head like roof of the front seating area, I felt like any vibration from the luggage rack was being transmitted, and maybe amplified, into the passenger compartment. I needed to replace the luggage rack gasket so I took the opportunity to cover the underside of the luggage rack with my favorite sound adsorbing pad, Damplifier. The result was a significant reduction in noise so I removed the headliner and fiberglass insulation just below the luggage rack, covered the inside of the passenger compartment roof with Damplifier, and refitted the original headliner and insulation. The results: A big reduction in wind noise. This is a relatively easy task, and since these are the panels that are closest to our ears, an small improvement in sound reduction here may make more difference than a greater reduction in a more distant panel. I highly recommend this modification.

I prefer Damplifier pads because they are made of butyl rubber rather than asphalt and do not fall off when subjected to the stresses of time and heat. I once used B-Quiet Original pads on the panels below the side windows and it slid down and made an aweful mess. I've had similar poor results with the Peel-n-Stick type products.

Damplifier has a similar construction to and the same mass as Dynamat Extreme but it cost about half as much.

I thought someone might be interested in this. Ed