Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:45:45 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon Automatic/leak in wheel well passanger side when
              it              rains.
Comments: To: Bill Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>

I wanted to add, besides it maybe being just a windshield seal...... rust likes to be active under there - at the base of the windshield. It is treatable if it's not real bad, by 'sneaking' in under the edge of the windshield to get at the rust.

as the syndrome develops, there can be small holes in the body too, under the windshield seal. Those can also be treated, if the hole isn't too big, just by sneaking in there under the seal.

'windshield and seal removed' is of course, the full and complete way to deal with it. but ...much can be done if you get to it before it's too far gone. It's a common syndrome, one of two places very likely to rust - the other one is at the bottoms of the rear side windows. Same there - it can be treated and stopped, 'in place' if you get to it before it's really bad.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Shawley" <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:36 AM Subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon Automatic/leak in wheel well passanger side when it rains.

Funny story on this, had my van looked over by Eric Zeno last spring, he looked at my windshield rubber and told me to get some silicon to run under the seal. Well I had more pressing issues to address (like brakes) and besides I didn't have any leaks!

Fast forward to this fall, mystery water in the footwell, couldn't find the source but a tarp over the luggage compartment and windshield have put a stop to it. Now I'll have to wait until spring when the temperatures are condusive to sealing the windshield like Eric recommended a year ago!

Ryan

_________________________________________________________________ Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/=