Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:57:21 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      What did I destroy now? (Ignition fail)

'87 GL Auto I pulled off the injector connections and in the process apparently knocked off the coil wire. It couldn't have been on there very well, and when I looked at it later it and the coil were very gunked up and greasy. I had cranked the engine for a total of about a minute (a few seconds at a time) when I went back to reconnect everything and discovered the loose wire. I re-attached everything and tried to start the engine (which had started just fine before the tranny swap) and no joy. I pulled out the coil (whoever designed that mount should be fried in their own juices); I cleaned it and tested it per Bentley. It was way out of spec on the primary. I grabbed another presumably good coil and tested it; it tested 'good' so I put it in. Still no start. I know I need to go through the procedures in the book and test all kinds of crap but right now I'm more of a mind to set the damn thing on fire so I thought I'd see if y'all had some pointers before I go back out there. In the meantime I'm topping off the battery and I'm going to hang out inside and cool down. I seem to remember somebody (maybe Dennis) saying that cranking the engine without the coil wire on would damage something (the Hall sender) but I couldn't find much in my archives. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cya, Robert