Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:31:48 -0500
From:         Markus Benne <mbenne@M-BASS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problem installing a baby seat
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com>

I think I get what you are driving at. That might work. Problem is that the seatbelt bracket has a 90degree bend in it. Caught me by surprise too. Not sure why.

I was thinking of getting a piece of metal made to act as an adaptor. It would bolt into the original location, and have a hole about 2" further down that I could bolt the female end to. It would need to be bent to allow room behind it for a nut for the seatbelt and to clear some of the corrugation of the firewall.

Still, the easiest would be a shorter female seatbelt piece. I was surprised to see the regular vanagon and the westy have the same length for the female piece. Thought I was onto something there. But alas, no.

I just tried using the left side buckle with the right side male end, and that helped. Still, not 100% tight, but a bit better than before.

...Markus

Bob Stevens wrote: > Markus, > What do you think of just getting a piece of flat 1/8" steel and > re-mounting the female belt against > the firewall under the bench? Use the steel piece on top of the belt, > put the "new bolt" through both > so the steel piece disperses the pressure from the bolt across the > width of the belt. > Easy way to "shorten" that belt. > > bob > > On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Markus Benne <mbenne@m-bass.com > <mailto:mbenne@m-bass.com>> wrote: > > Hi, > > Sorry, the issue is kind of hard to describe. > > Yeah, the male part can be tightened no problem, but that does not > change the location of the buckle and that is what interferes with > a corner on the car seat. The buckle is in exactly the wrong > spot. A shorter strap on the female side would help. Most modern > cars have the buckle right near the base of the seat where the > seat base meats the backrest. The bus has the buckle about 4" > past the seat base/backrest location. >