Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:50:01 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problem installing a baby seat - caution, long
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

You are absolutely right David, no question. Absolutely ........any modifications to safety equipment ... 'technically' we never should. For sure, anything done, has to be done very, very well and carefully. I do think there is some leeway for a rear seat belt that has to be designed to keep a 200 pound, or heavier person in place during severe decelerations ..........since the most a baby seat and baby might weight would be maybe 50 lbs.

I'd say the chances of using the equipment incorrectly is far, far more likely than the parts failing.

Honda had a stink about seat belt failures in their cars.........in the 90's possibly, in the U.S.. They did a bunch of research and what they concluded basically, is that many Americans are slobs in their cars and the seat belt mechanism where getting fouled by food....... bits of hamburgers and french fries, or hair or chewing gum. and indeed, I have had to clean out horribly impacted hair/goo/chewing/gum who knows what out of a Volvo 240 seat belt, to get it to function again.

last story - to illustrate my point that 'user stupidity' is far more likely to be an issue than the equipment itself. Had customer with a small Honda car, a Civic. This was a medium young couple with a baby. he agreed to bring it in for service since in 200,000 miles it had never once had the valve clearances adjusted, and those are supposed to be done every 30,000 on that type of Honda. He says, on the phone 'don't be bothered about the brake warning light' .....it's on from poor switch contact on the parking brake handle." I said 'Honda's don't do that, Volvo's and some other car do, but not honda's. It could be low brake fluid."

Mind you, people drive their 18 month old baby around in this car. I get the car............there is , honest, 1/8th inch of filthy black brake fluid in the bottom of the brake fluid resevoir !

I look in the owner's manual for the car. Right there on page 19, it says 'if the brake warning light does not go out when you release the parking brake after the engine is running, check the brake fluid level in the resevoir on the brake master cylinder. If it's low, fill it, and then go see a Honda repair station."

I asked the woman on the phone if she had ever read the owner's manual. She just laughed - . of course not ! Too busy with baby and maybe another child too.

No amont of careful seat belt usage is going to make up for no brake fluid in the brake fluid resevoir !! LOL. so yeah......... it does take SOME BRAINS and thought to operate a car safely. And we all know, that many people will drive with big fat warning lights on all the time, 'as long as the car seems to function right.'

and sure, if someone is going to hand sew belt webbing with dental flos, and only 8 stiches total... that's not going to work when it counts !

On one of my vans someone made a seat belt extension. If you've ever had a really big person in your vanagon passenger's front seat, the seat belt won't reach around some really large people. Someone had cleveraly taken a seat belt, and made a one foot long male-female seat belt extension. the sewing on it looks professional grade. It 'probably' is safe ..........probably. In Germany, that likely would not pass an anual inspection. I doubt they have big dogs loose in their cars whilte driving there either, or diogs sitting on the dash of RV's like we do here. There is a TON of lack of safety awareness and consicousness in our culture.

Thanks for pointing out the need to be extremely careful modifyng safety equipment. As I said ...........officially you should not modify any safety equipment on your car.

And using it Intelliigently .........that is by far the bigger challenge. Those belts that run on the front window frame, so that the upper part is automatically belted when you start the car. those things are a major hazzard ! For one, there is no incentive to manually buckle the lower part, since 'it looks to cops like you have your seat belt on' and Surely.....having only the cross-torso upper part on and not the lap part bucked .... has got to be seriously unsafe in any crash. And ........those 'mouse track' things ........they've been known to rip off visors. And someday, a technician is going to reach in to turn on the key to do a test, and the thing will move and catch his or her head and hurt them. And they move sometimes if you turn on the key, or if you turn it t off. Rather unpredictable . I don't think any modern cars have them these days.

so ........given THAT dumb design, if a vanagon owner is willing to CAREFULLY make a change to a seat belt installation, and be responsible for it's correct use....... I think it's acceptable for a person to do that to THEIR VAN only .....and take full responsibility for anything that make occur that's less than desirebale. Heck ...... it's nothing as bad as a one year old getting DECAPITATED by a too strong front air bag in a 93 jetta in a shopping center parking lot fender bender minor accident. !!!! ( which did happen ) .

so given all that ...dumb design by manufacturers, I think a responsible vanagon owner might consider doing a REALLY CAREFUL and good job of making a small seat belt change on a rear seat for a baby seat. Use 4 inch wide brand new racing car seatbelt webbing, and have it sewn by a company that makes racing seat belts. that ought to work !

I get your point, of course, and am glad you said something !

Scott www.turbovans and I am VERY safety focused. I can't say I am overly confident that most of the world is very safety conscious though. ......man ! ... one of the commentators spoke 'Real Truth' last night on TV, about that luge guy that got killed when he came of the sled, and flew right into steel supports next to the luge track. . He said .....'what a high price to pay, to be made aware that posts like that must not be exposed where a luger could hit one.'

the guy flew off his sled at 90 mph, looked to me about 30 feet, and smacked right into a steel support. Now THAT .............having exposed steel supports right next to a track with a wild support like luge,and high speeds like 90 mph ...... is not demonstrating much safety consciousness at all. They fixed it immediately, but a young guy had to die for them to see the need. Such a shame.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:01 PM Subject: Re: Problem installing a baby seat