Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Feb 2010 22:07:28 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: generators/inverters for camping
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Most likely your Power Mate is running "off" frequency. Most AC motors do not really care but anything electronic is looking at volts, consuming current (amps) and AC power needs to be within 3% of 60 Hz. One thing that can get damaged by these generators are air conditioning compressors. On a standard generator the frequency is determined by the number of poles and the RPM. A 4 pole generator needs to spin at 1800 rpm to give 60 Hz. A 2 pole needs 3,600 rpm and a 3 pole needs 2,700 etc.

The inverter charger is probably seeing the input out of spec and shutting it down to avoid passing the damage downstream.

The little Honda generators are great as they are actually generator inverter combinations. The generator spins at the speed needed to match the load and the inverter (which controls the engine speed) does what is necessary to give the 60 Hz power. This allows them to be very quiet and efficient.

Dennis