Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:31:28 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: generators/inverters for camping
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

At 09:27 AM 2/9/2010, mcneely4@cox.net wrote: >David, I thought the complaint was not that the output was NOT a >sine wave, but that the "precision" of the wave was somehow not that >great. That might be that the amplitude varies, and in a >non-predictable way? Not knowledgeable enough about generator >function to be sure, but that's what it sounded like to me. That >might account for the ability of the thing to drive a tool motor, >but not to support electronics (which the battery charger, if it is >recent, almost certainly contains). Make sense?

Not really. Geometry dictates that the output of a coil rotating in a uniform magnetic field *will* be a sine wave, as the wires in the coil cut the magnetic lines of force at varying angles from parallel (no output) to perpendicular (peak output), parallel again, no output; perpendicular in the other direction, full output but opposite polarity. At any point in the (constant) rotation the voltage output will be proportional to the sin of the rotation angle. I'm going to say (without going back to look it up) that this phase relationship will always be true, so if someone knows better, speak up. The *current* is also a sin wave, but depending on the type of load (resistive, capacitive, inductive, combined) it will lead or lag the voltage curve by some number of degrees up to 90.

What can easily vary in a small generator is frequency and voltage. Typical 60-Hz gear is rated to run from 57-63 Hz, way outside of any normal variation from the power company, and 95-125 volts which is two or three times the typical variation at the wall plug. ISTM that the tuned-reed frequency meters I've seen on generators run from 55-65 Hz in increments of one Hz.

This generator also has a 12vdc charging output, with a full-wave rectifier, smoothing capacitor and output characteristics just like a standard automotive charging circuit. I'm pretty sure that this capacitor, #49 on the parts diagram, is the one that the tech rep mentioned, as a failure there would cause the output to fluctuate from 0 to full output 120 times a second, reducing charging effectiveness. However a failure of one of the diodes would be a bigger problem, as the input to the capacitor would then be two pulses of one polarity followed by one of the opposite polarity. Bear in mind, though, that this affects only the DC charging output. The instantaneous output of the main alternator is stabilized by the mass of the rotor and rotating engine parts, and longer-term by the automatic 60-Hz-seeking throttle mechanism.

I'd sure like to see a scope trace of what's coming out of that thing under loaded and unloaded conditions. I wonder if a high-resistance connection somewhere in the generating coil and connections might exist -- that would allow full unloaded voltage, but would start to drop the output voltage as soon as a load was applied. And of course would shed heat something like a toaster, but that might not be noticed right next to a 3.5 hp running engine. 3.5 hp = 3.5 * 0.746 = ~2.6 kilowatts, incidentally.

Yrs, David