Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:04:17 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Design

Well put, Jeff, but I for one though will call BS on the list WBX haters. Check the yellow pages in any big city and you will find repair shops specializing in any and every make of car. Every car has problems and failures. Our beasts are ancient compared to 95% of the rest of the vehicle fleet running around. Who could possibly expect them to measure up to much newer vehicles? The vaunted Subaru brand has plenty of major mechanical issues even in their newest cars. Headgasket failures at low miles and low years are just the beginning. I have owned at least one wbx for the last 20 years, as well as Vanagons with other engine types. Add the other VW, BMW, Mercedes, Subaru, Mazda, Nissan, etc cars that have come and gone in my family and I have bloodied my knuckles on every one. Cars break. The older they get the more they break. Some things break so often that the parts are available on the shelf at every FLAPS in town. When the local wrecking yards put out new rows of every brand to be picked at the vultures descend on every one of them.

Mark

Jeff Lincoln wrote: > Dave, > > I mean no offense here - but I cannot think of a better way to word this: > > I think that the experience you describe had a lot to do with the wording > you chose when you were criticizing. > > I think that a lot of people had a hard time telling from some of your posts > why you owned a Vanagon at all - and I only say that because your wording > really made it look like you despised the thing. > > Just my .02 > > On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Dave Mcneely<mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > >> Interesting. Seems there is an in crowd that can criticize the >> dependability of Vanagons. Others of us, not a part of the in crowd, get >> jumped whenever we point out the beasts difficulties. We usually are >> accused of not practicing proper maintenance, which in my case at least is >> definitely not true. Some can even criticize the dependability due to >> inherent design flaws, and yet whenever one of the "out bunch" questions >> reliability, those same ones will lay into that person and his or her >> maintenance practices. Just sayin ............ . >> >> David Mc >> >> >> > > > > -- > Thanks, > > Jeff > '90 Carat (Grover) > '86 (We call this one Parts) > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus >