Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Feb 2010 02:19:58 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic transmission failure

A true re-manufactured transaxle should include a torque converter and oil cooler. A local transmission or repair shop should be able to repair yours. There are all sorts of level or repair to rebuild levels here.

Torque converters get rebuilt for a number of reasons. For one thing centrifugal force makes them an excellent filter. All the clutch lining material and metal shavings are in there. During the handling of the tranny repair some of this will get dislodged and some stuff will get into your nice clean rebuilt unit. Two, they do fail. There is a one way clutch in there and when it goes bad the torque converter no longer multiplies torque. Poor acceleration is the result. Three, the bushing and seal area wears making for leaks. The bushing is an easy fix but the seal surface is weld and machine repair. Tranny shops have the connections to get converters rebuilt.

Dennis