Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:38:50 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Amount of paint to paint a Westfalia?
Comments: To: Courtney Hook <courtneyhook@SHAW.CA>

Hi, starting the first of June Canada will adopt the European rules/law about water base paint. That mean you won't be able to buy anything else then water base paint. Enamel may be sold a bit longer (older style of paint and colour).

No more Acrylic - urethane! No more base/clear coat solvent base.

What does that mean: Let's take a gallon of paint, well the water base base coat will be 3 time the price but will last 3 time longer. So to paint a van you will only need 1 quart. Clear coat will be similar to existing product in therm of quantity. Base coat will now be only 1.5 coat and same for clear coat. Ok, so far so good... NO!!!! Water base paint doesn't dry easy and doesn't like ANY kind of humidity and dust. On top, very dangerous for the painter because the body want to absorb water and the water base paint still contain some solvent. So, water base paint doesn't dry easy so it mean inverting in a dryer system, an air conditioning (humidity removal - control) for the compressor, more complex air filter-dryer, anodize spay gun = 4500$ MINIMUM. This is the real reason i'm stopping body work in the shop. It's not a problem for normal body shop who do small job like quarter panel, front end. 2 dryer are enough but for guy like me who only do complete job it's simply a nightmare. I would have to buy at least 10 dryer and built a solid paint booth.

To your question: if you Enamel, the van as been primed everywhere and don't do the pop-top, it's anything between 2/3 gallon to 1 and even more depending on the colour. Some colour use more than 3 coats.

To end that long post, you can STILL buy Urethane paint and solvent base/clear coat, just look around.

I always buy a gallon anyway. If you make mistake and heavy run you may have to redo part of the van.

Ben http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm