Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:23:45 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Design
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

I am kinda with Dave here. But I have owned VW vans back in my hippy days. When I began looking for an economical dependable 'augmentator' for my diesel pickup with camper I again looked to the VW van. I thought..."Hey, maybe a Vanagon...they seem to be able to keep up with traffic and are about the proper size and ground clearance for the camping I do. Maybe they work more dependably than the old aircooled vans"...but I researched them (extensively) and I see (saw) that they didn't get very good mileage and people were often having trouble with the motor blowing headgaskets or just blowing up. "Hmmm" I thought, "Kinda like my old splitwindow..the undependable motor that blows up more frequently than other makes of vans. And the gas mileage I see people claiming...I can get mpgs like that from a Ford or a Chevy, almost"...So I was a bit put off on Vanagons and looking elsewhere when I spied my current inline VW powered vanagon for pretty cheap. I decided I could make a 'mistake' for what this guy was asking and I went ahead and got mine, thinking if the thing blows, I'll just junk it. It's not perfect. But it seems to get better mileage than a WBX and it seems more dependable than what I read about the stock WBX motors do. So I have a Vanagon and I am happy with it, it does the job. If I went with a WBX powered vanagon and it blew up...I'd be kicking myself for disregarding what I read and for buying another VW bus that didn't quite do the job for me. Some people are "purists" and are all in love with certain machines...thinking "Nobody could improve on *this* vehicle, It's perfect just like it is..totally stock" Others are tinkerers. They immediately think "I can do better" and start in. Me, when I bought my Vanagon I was just looking to find a utilitarian van. Since then, I have fallen for the Vanagon and I enjoy making improvements on mine. But most I enjoy going outside and turning the key and taking off without a thought about it's reliability..I enjoy not seeing drippy coolant and getting 325miles on a tank before I look for a filling station. And when it finally breaks down, I'll head to a nearby junkyard and get another Rabbit, Jetta, Golf, Cabriolet, inline motor for a few hundred bucks and 'plug that in' and keep right on going.. Don Hanson