Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:55:45 -0500
From:         Bobby Brown <bobbybrown1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: best method/chemical/tool to remove very old pinstripe
              material
Comments: To: joel walker <uncajoel@bellsouth.net>

All,

Rubber wheel acquired from local Auto Paint & Body supply store. Wheel and arbor ~ $15 out the door.

FYI...if any of you volks have not checked out your local Auto Paint & Body Supply store for your restoration needs, please do. While they are not Vanagon specific, they are paint and body specific.

Adhesives, removers, all kinds of paints & primers, panel fasteners, body screws and fasteners, polishes, compounds, body fillers, POR15, sand papers, tools...etc, etc, etc...GALORE.

Nothing against the internet for we enthusiasts, but for local pickup, including possible Saturday hours...can't beat them.

just an FYI.

Bobby

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM, joel walker <uncajoel@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> 2. I am working in the cold months because I am a bone-head because I >> >> could not wait for warmer weather. I just wanted to get my rust & paint >> issues resolved. >> 3. I am re-painting the entire vehicle. All the glass is out. >> 4. I have only hand tools and rechargeable Makita drill. >> 5. Looks like I am going with Mineral Spirits and rubber eraser wheel. >> > > ah. :) ok, check with those same 3M folks ... they have some hand drill > disks with sideways-kinda flappying thingies, made of some plastic that > supposedly will whack away at the paint/stripes/whatever, without hurting > the metal. sort of like sand-blasting with walnut shells or the plastic > bits. only it's on the end of a hand drill. might be worth considering if > you're gonna repaint anyway. > > > http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Auto-Accessory-Attachment/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GGG002RHMQKTO1812_nid=9SSWXMXPSHbe62QWM928KWgl > > scroll down a ways to see the wheels. > > don't forget to pick up some respirator/masks thingies. that dust WILL get > up your nose and in your lungs. :( > > good luck! > joel >

-- Bobby Brown