Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:37:05 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Problem installing a baby seat - resolution (for now anyway)
Comments: To: Markus Benne <mbenne@M-BASS.COM>

What is an "I clip"? Sorry to be so ignorant, but that is my usual state regarding all things mechanical. David Mc

---- Markus Benne <mbenne@M-BASS.COM> wrote: > Thanks Annie! > > Using the instructions you supplied on the use of the I-clip for seatbelt shortening > as inspiration, I was able to shorten the length of the female part of the seatbelt. > > Unfortunately not as short as those instruction (I was missing about 3mm > of length in order complete maneuver 4; I might be able to stretch the > belt overnight) but in step 2, instead of feeding it through again, I > just looped it over the ends as is done in step 4. > > That took over 2" out of the length and that is enough to tighten the > belt securely. > > Upshot is nothing cut or relocated or fabricated, although I think all > of those done properly would have been ok too. > > Thanks a lot! > > ...Markus (and Emma) > > Annie wrote: > > Here are instructions on using the I clip as a belt shortener: > > > > *To use a belt-shortening clip* > > First, push the vehicle seat all the way back on it's track if possible. > > Apply weight to the child safety seat, buckle the belt and pull the > > webbing all the way out of the retractor > > Make a loop of ALL the excess belt, and either hold it tightly or mark > > the loop to know where the belt-shortening clip should go. > > > > 1. Unbuckle the belt and thread the loop up through the bottom of > > one side of the clip, then down over the other side. > > 2. Double-back the loop over the second set of "arms" on the clip. > > 3. Place the *inside* webbing of the loop back in the first side of > > the clip. > > 4. Pull the *inside* (underneath) webbing tight. > > > > > > > > > > > > Place the clip anywhere on the belt so that it lies flat, is not close > > to the child's face or body, and is convenient for the belt path and > > easy for the installer to install. > > Rebuckle the belt and test the child safety seat to be sure it's > > tight. If not, repeat steps 2-6. > > For the tightest fit, move the vehicle seat forward on it's track. > > > > ~Annie > > > > On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Markus Benne <mbenne@m-bass.com > > <mailto:mbenne@m-bass.com>> wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > Sorry, the issue is kind of hard to describe. > > > > Yeah, the male part can be tightened no problem, but that does not > > change the location of the buckle and that is what interferes with a > > corner on the car seat. The buckle is in exactly the wrong spot. A > > shorter strap on the female side would help. Most modern cars > > have the > > buckle right near the base of the seat where the seat base meats the > > backrest. The bus has the buckle about 4" past the seat base/backrest > > location. > > > > Annie, I think the I-piece is to keep the shoulder strap in a fixed > > position to the lap belt, but in the rear of the car, there is only a > > lap belt so I don't think the part would help (happy to be wrong > > though). > > > > I'm thinking of having a bracket made that would relocate the female > > section down a couple inches where it fastens to the body of the bus. > > It would be cheaper than a new car seat. > > > > Thanks for hints so far. > > > > ...Markus > > > > Bob Stevens wrote: > > > > I may not be getting the full picture, or even getting the > > picture at > > all, but .... > > does the male-belt strap have any adjustment to it so you can just > > tighten or > > loosen to suit your needs? > > > > bob > > > > On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Markus Benne > > <mbenne@m-bass.com <mailto:mbenne@m-bass.com> > > <mailto:mbenne@m-bass.com <mailto:mbenne@m-bass.com>>> wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > I'm having a problem installing the baby seat. > > > > The buckle is at a very awkward location relative to the baby > > seat. The > > problem (really my poor choice of seat, I guess) is that > > the Vanagon > > buckle is about 10" long and extends past the seat a long > > way. By > > buckle I mean the female part of the seat belt with the > > push button > > clasp. I guess I could look at a generic. > > > > Does anyone know where I can get a shorter buckle (6" or > > 8") that > > would > > work with the vw parts? > > > > Any other ideas? > > > > I'm using the gowesty tether which appears to be pretty good. > > > > > > Thanks, > > ...Markus > > > > > > > > > > > >