Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:48:04 -0800
From:         phil zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: ubject: Re: Bumper Replacement
Comments: cc: Cunegonde <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM>

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:37:44 -0800 From: Cunegonde <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM> Subject: ubject: Re: Bumper Replacement

How did they get Volvo bumpers on a Vanagon?! I want to go swap mine ASAP.. but then what? Discard Volvo's shock absorber mounts and attach to VW front mounts how? Retain Volvo shock/recoil mounts Can it also be done in the rear? ----------------------------------

Hi Bretts,

How you ask? Bought one front, one rear and one not-so perfect one, preferably a rear (they are less curved); Bumpers from a 1979 to ~ 1985-6 244 model Volvo. These are solid 6000 series Alum, very Stiff and Hard! Newer than ~1986-7 the Bumpers were manufactured with a Skeleton Frame design and do not have the heft and beef of the earlier years. Also, the holes in them will interfere with attaching them to the Vanagon. The newer type could be used but, would require more work.

Cut the front and rear bumpers in half. Welded in a spacer piece cut from the third one to widen each one. I pondered including the OEM shock absorbers. Decided the work involved would be way-too labour intensive. As is, this was not an easy fast project to complete. I jigged each one up for fitting and then final welding. The jig was a real sophisticated 2X4.... 8>)

Attachment was very near stock. The Rear attaches with 4 bolts, much like the OEM Fibreglass bumpers. The Front attaches to the OEM 8mm weld nuts on the frame, just like the original bumper. For added rigidity, I added two bolts on the lower edge, just because.... 8:)

Links to the photos (complements of Jim A):

Front: http://tinyurl.com/yhcfgwo

Rear: http://tinyurl.com/ylrkd7s

Regards Phil Z. Campbell River, BC