Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:19:50 -0400
From:         "Arthur,Dave" <Dave.Arthur@NSCC.CA>
Subject:      Re: LED Refit

I'm attaching a post from Michael Hart (June 8th, 2009). Mike listed all the bulbs in Westy with the LED equivalents and a source [www.superbrightleds.com]. I have ordered from this company, the listed bulbs from Mike's list. I'm very happy with the LEDs. No issues ordering or with delivery.

About the LED colour, particularly white, to match incandescent bulbs use the 'warm white' option. Normal LED white bulbs appear quite bluish.

Should anyone need more details drop me a note.

'86 Westy

Mike's note ...

Most of this information was posted by others a few months ago, but I thought I would post this 'complete' list based on my further research and installation of LED bulbs in many places in my '87 Westy. The only comprehensive vendor I have found is www.superbrightleds.com The following information should make sense once you look at their site.

All are direct plug-ins, with the exception of the heater control LEDs, which will require some dexterity with a soldering iron to assemble them into the existing fittings

1). Instrument Cluster: Quantity: 4: Product: B8.3D-x Instrument LED bulb $ 1.59 (each): Options: White B8.3D-W (Blue & Red also available) (Alternative: High powered version B8.3D-xHP $2.59 each) 2). Heater controls: Quantity: 2: Product: 74-x Wedge Base LED bulb $ 1.19 (each): Options: White 74-W 3). Interior light (above driver): 42mm festoon bulb: Quantity: 1:Product: 4211-x6 LED Festoon bulb $ 3.70 (each): Options: Natural White 4211-NW6 (Warm & Cool whites, Blue also available) (Alternative: you can also pick more powerful versions of the 42mm festoon bulbs). I believe these are the size you also need for the camper light over the stove (but I replaced mine with a Thinlight fluorescent fitting a while back, so can't be sure). 4). Interior light (in dash above glove box): 30mm festoon bulb: Quantity: 1: Product: 3022-x4 LED Festoon bulb $ 2.84 (each): Options: Natural White 3022-NW4 (Warm & Cool whites, Blue also available) 5). Exterior rear side marker lights: Quantity:2: Product: BA9s-x-x-12V Wide Angle bulb $ 0.98 (each): Options: 120 Degree Red BA9s-R-x-12V

The end result: a bright white look (or blue or even red if you so desire...) to your interior lights and what I would call a more 'modern' look to your instrument panel (& better visibility). Hope these instructions are clear to you.

Mike,

'87 Westy