Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:13:42 -0700
From:         Gregory Smith <gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 Digifant with poor milage and low top-end power.

Sounds like you're running rich. Test the temp sensor, you want to see 2500-3000 ohms cold and ~250-270 hot. Also check the ground near the A/C bracket.

Without the O2 sensor connected, the ECU cannot adjust the mixture, so it's "running" off the rough CO% screw setting on the AFM and the temp sensor input.

Hope this helps.

Gregory Smith

Smith Design Studio Small Building Company Olympia, WA 360-239-0429 gregoryfsmith.com

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:32:06 -0500

From: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA> Subject: 1.9 Digifant with poor milage and low top-end power.

Hi Volks,

I have been hoping this would get better but it isn't, so I am asking for help again.

My 87 vanagon has a low-milage VW reman 1.9 motor wearing 2.1 cooling and FI. It idles rock steady, but it is sluggish to respond to throttle, and low on power until it gets to about 2700 RPM. Lately the top end power has also been down a fair bit, enough that at 60MPH it becomes hard to accellerate on minor grades without downshifting. I am also getting a bit less than 200 miles on a 57L (15 gallon) tank of fuel. I used to breeze up these same grades without issue and have seen 240-270 miles per tank in the past.

There is a slight exhaust leak at the forward collector; so I have not connected the O2 sensor; I know this will have an affect on my milage but it shouldn't have so much affect on power output, should it?

So that had me wondering about the brief overheat back in December, so I tested compression yesterday and got 155/160/160/170. Pretty decent numbers in my book. Pulling any of the plug wires or injectors gives instant and dramatic results, so I think I am OK mechanically. I also checked the throttle body switches and the idle switch engages perfectly. I am not able to detect a click at full throttle however.

The spark plugs were bosch platinum and had a nice grey tone to them. I have heard bad things about platinum plugs on the type2 list so I replaced them with some NGK's I had on hand.

Coil, wires, cap and rotor and distributor are just over a year old.

I have a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and it reports about 35 PSI at idle. When I apply throttle it jumps up to 40PSI until the engine spools up and as revs increase it gradually drops to about 25 PSI. Once the revs are up around 3K it is much more responsive to throttle input. Applying vacuum by sucking on a hose connected to the pressure regulator will reduce fuel pressure to 25 PSI until I let go; then it goes back up to 40.

I also have a spare ECU and AFM; swapping them in place makes no difference.

Suggestions as to what I have missed or what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

Greg (No signature when posting from a web portal)