Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Feb 2010 00:14:58 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Value of a Rolling Chasis to a scrap yard
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I scrapped one two summers ago that was absolutely STRIPPED. Heck, it was missing the roof..... Anyway that was the height of scrap metal and I found someone on craigslist.org that came out with a tow truck and gave me $200-300 for it (I don't remember the exact number). He proceeded to take it to a yard and sell it for scrap. I happen to know that he lost money on my vanagon, because he called to tell me and i offered a percentage back that would still allow him to actually profit, but he declined. So they're defintately worth SOMETHING.

I'd check Craigslist for someone that scraps cars. They'll probably offer you less than the wrecking yard might, but they come and pick it up and make it so easy and painless.

That same year scrap was so high, we decided it was time to get rid of my father's 1997 Oldsmobile aurora (one of two at the time) that had 500,000 miles on it. It was running strong but showing evidence that the head gaskets were on the way out soon and had a small exhaust leak. So, we drove it to the scrap yard, then spent about 3 hours in the scrap yard parking lot taking off everything we could to keep as spares for the other Aurora. What we ended up selling to the scrap yard was a car sitting on 3 space saver spares, without a battery, without any of the big buck/small sized engine or electrical components, and without any doors (the doors were donated to the other one). Scrap cars, even stripped ones..... are made of steel. It's worth something.

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in the back