Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:43:48 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday topic: MP3s in a vanagon?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Hi Don, as you've seen there are Poddies and there are others. Itunes is interesting but very intrusive. There are other ripping and storage and management programs out there that will export the MP3s to file folders on whatever storage media your particular player happens to use. Ipods still have battery problems and a host of other intrusive features. The Ipod was designed and is intended to lure you into buying music. If you already have a music library it can be used to manage that but is specifically intended to load Ipods.

Like many other retrogrouches I use a different method. My music is stored on transportable media not linked to any particular device. I use an MP72 Los Angeles Blaupunkt which accepts SD cards and is controlled through a Thummer remote that lives on the steering wheel.

Not as elegant as a Podster but works for me.

Blaupunkt also made a auxiliary unit that plugged into the aux system and treated a Compact Flash Media as a CD Changer.

For me the Ipod is redundant. I already have the tools to do the tunes. And no battery problems or registration or hassles with Apple or losing hours of laboriously created playlists.

I personally resent having things I buy badly managed by fruit flavored software, but then I'm that way.

Ruffled Grouch.