Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:23:16 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: ISC troubleshooting
Comments: To: mordo <helmut.blong@gmail.com>

> Madness, indeed. I like to imagine some line workers at VDO toiling away, > hand-soldering every pin... > > John, what do you reckon all the inputs to the unit are? There's a > fair-sized bundle of wire going to it. >

Well, I've traced them all out in the Bentley and come up with the following:

R/BK = 12v from STARTER R/W = 12v from ignition switch ON W/Y = Power Steering (12v on pressure switch close) BR = Ground GY = TEMP2 sensor (thermistor, 150-6500 ohms to ground) R/BL = Throttle Switch (ground at idle, full throttle; open all other times) W = Idle Stabilizer Valve + Y = Idle Stabilizer Valve - W/G = Air Conditioning (12v when AC is on, open otherwise (presumably)) G = Hall Sensor Pulse (at least 10v)

Looking at the inputs, the functions of the idle stabilizer are pretty clear (though they raise a few questions):

if (Throttle Switch is not GROUND) then DO NOTHING

if (STARTER input 12v) then open ISV to (some percentage, perhaps determined by TEMP2 ?)

set IDLE SPEED to 850

if (Power Steering input 12v) then set IDLE SPEED to (something, 1100 or so?)

if (Air Conditioning input = 12v) then set IDLE SPEED to (something, 1100?)

if (TEMP2 says engine is cold) then set IDLE SPEED to (something, 1100?)

FINALLY

calculate RPM from elapsed time and pulses counted from Hall Sensor

if (RPM < IDLE SPEED) then open ISV (some increment) if (RPM > IDLE SPEED) then close ISV (some increment)

Since I don't have an oscilloscope, I am limited in my analysis of what EXACTLY the thing tries to do with the ISV for these various inputs, but I do know that it generally raises the RPM for all of them. My controller and valve are old and cranky, so they don't really keep the engine at a steady speed--- I can only determine "relatively faster", and "relatively slower".

So far I have built a couple annoying prototype digital controllers. I blew up the first one (5v controllers don't like 12v). The second one is a little better planned, but I still can't get the timing in the software tuned in. I get weird oscillations and drop-outs... when I change variables to fix one, I seem to exacerbate the other. I thought doing it in software would be easy. It's a lot easier than that crazy OEM analog unit, but still... I have an even greater respect for the VDO guys now.

Someday I expect to get FILTHY RICH selling these for $249 to people who don't want to spend $250 for a VDO OEM controller! Actually, I'll be lucky to get one working at all, and being an eternal pessimist, all I can imagine is three dozen customers with badly functioning units badgering me for the rest of my life. No, if I ever get a working design, I'll just write it up on a web page and let people HAVE it for free. At most I'll make PCBs and sell kits!

My biggest annoyance is that I can't find a "double relay" connector that will fit in the existing socket. RIght now I'm using one stolen from a bad controller I already had...

So many projects, so little time.

-- John Bange