Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:56:16 -0800
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday topic: MP3s in a vanagon?

Modern CD players will play MP3's as well as WMA's. Approximately 200 MP3's (counting 3.5 minutes per song) will fit on a CD, but if converted to WMA, 400 songs will fit on a single CD. All the music I might possibly want to hear in a week will fit on 3-5 EASILY REPLACEABLE CD's, so I don't have to lug around 120 to 200 CD's, or keep switching CD's to hear other albums. I will admit to being very ignorant of how to create playlists, but the Alpine stereo that was already in my Westy when I bought it does allow me to navigate to folders, which I can create before I actually burn the CD. I have opted to create a folder for each album. There may be a way to create a playlist, allowing me to mix songs from various albums, but I have yet to learn that.

I prefer to use CD's full of WMA's because I don't have to worry about loss, theft, or damage from heat in the summer. If anything happens to my 400 song CD, all I have to do is just burn another at a cost of approximately $.05 to $.10 a CD. I specifically don't want an iPod for use in a vehicle because it's less to worry about.

There may be some question as to the sound quality of a WMA, but the Vanagon is noisy in the first place, so I really don't notice a compromise in stereo quality. In fact, I don't even notice a compromise at all, no matter where I am. (Maybe I've never been taught or don't notice the difference.)

By the way, if you download your iTunes as M4A's, you will not be able to play them on a Windows computer without iTunes or a converter. If there is a choice, it's better to choose MP3's. They are pretty much universal. (WMA's won't play on a Mac or an iPod, unless converted to MP3's or M4A's.)

I tried out another device that accepts secure digital cards and plays songs through your FM radio. It doesn't work quite as well, as sometimes the FM signal weakens or is lost. I'm going to stick with my cheap-o CD's! Patti 90 Westy Automatic ****************** On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@cfu.net>wrote: