Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:56:55 -0800
From:         chris and/or ruth <populuxe59@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday topic: MP3s in a vanagon?

I offer up this MP3 explanation to Don. Don, I hear you! I still have one foot back in Lp's and tapes while the other barely has traction in the modern formats. I think  there are still many on this list that do not speak MP3 as a first language. Some of the replies were a bit over the top in regards to WAV, AAC files, etc.   If you have CD and Mini-disc you have two of the best music play back systems already. If you go to inferior quality mp3 you would be doing it for convenience right?  You can put mp3's on your mini-disc--have you tried that to get used to the format? I have my "computer's music" on mp3 and I transferred this to my Ipod.  Then I had to clean it up. That is a hobby in itself. If you have a lot of time you may enjoy it.  My Ipod is a touch model. I kind of like it and hate it. Great for long trips--I use a cigarette plug in that charges also. A real pain if your doing errands or short trips to work/school because you have to remove and re-install it every time.  The touch can also be used to check email, web stuff if you can connect to wifi. I just figured out I have maps/google earth today, but I think I've got to be connected. I've had the thing over a year now and still in the dark with it. To put your existing things onto mp3 is a big,big project--you may be better off looking for your stuff on Limewire etc to download it. If you already own it you have license to have another copy for you own use as long as you don't share it. If I did it again, I'd go with a Sony Walkman or a Zune, providing they use normal mp3 and not the proprietary Apple mp3--whatever that is.  Now, I think Ipod is a great product if you don't mind paying a buck for every song off itunes, but it is just not friendly with sharing mp3's to/from your computer or other sources.  And if your computer is lost, I don't think you can get your music back unless you have it backed it up on discs!!  Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Don, not many people convert their LP,tape collection to mp3--they just download new. Most of the review I have read about the turntable converters say they suck. If you have most of your stuff on CD, then it is easy to convert/RIP it to mp3; either to an mp3 disc or mp3 player. With mp3 disc, you can sort files fairly easy and flip through logically. Best of all, you only have to carry 5 or 6 discs to have your "traveling collection".   I had a Sony CD/CD-mp3 DISC player  in my Vanagon and liked it. Very good sound and convenient with remote (car remotes will not turn the unit "on"--they would have to be on stand-by while your car is off. They will turn it off ). It's very handy to Velcro the remote to the steering wheel and use it while you drive instead of fumbling with dash controls.   I am intrigued by the thumb drive storage system!!  I have some music on an SD card that I put in a boom box, also have a mini disc, turntable, and cassette. Guess I'm  suffering from Quadropehia...   Chris Christensen Vanagonless   -------------------------------------------------------

OK,  can someone bring me into century 2000 when it comes to music players suitable for various enviornments?  I have a CD changer, a Mini-disc player, a good sound reproducing amplifier in both house and van but I know nothing of digital players like everyone seems to be using now.  Do I just go get an MP3 player from Best Buy or Wal Mart and plug that into my current stuff? Do I have to buy an I-pod (whatever that is) and then re-purchase every song I like? How do I get music I have on other mediums to go into a computer file so I can send it around to all my various mechanical reproducers in Van and home?    Can you buy software to convert recorded music to MP 3 playable format? Is there a good site anyone can suggest that would be worthwhile for me to learn this stuff from?  Should I just go to Fry's electronics or Car toys and listen to a salesman's rap?  Help, lost in the world of CDs and records and tapes...   Don Hanson