Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:30:44 -0600
From:         Stephen Edwards <welfarewrkr@IGC.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Are Vanagons pretty?

I think that what sets VW design apart is clean lines in which "form follows function". So I'd say, not "pretty" but satisfying in a different way.

I understand that in Germany it is normal for people to save up for years, then go out and buy a car - not on credit but for cash. Needless to say, this means that once they buy it they expect it to last.

I'm sure that's why the biggest German automaker didn't do the annual style changes that were expected of US auto makers. Annual style changes were a marketing ploy for a consumer market driven by "keeping up with the Joneses". These changes had nothing to do with function, and the need to change the style annually forced both US manufacturers and to a lesser degree their Japanese counterparts (who were aiming for the US market and were mostly part-owned by US companies) to create twiddly, functionally unnecessary exterior design features year after year just so your neighbors could tell that you had bought the latest model.

Long story short - VW and Porsche could create durable classics because they were subject mainly to engineering pressures (making the vehicle last) rather than marketing issues that had nothing to do with the vehicle's ability to get you economically from A to B.

Of course they also saved a load of money by avoiding the annual re- tooling that annual style changes required... and this conservatism apparently extended into ENGINE design which is why my Vanagon doesn't have a German engine any more... but that's another story!

Steve Edwards, 91 GL Vanaru (my 6th VW van in 29 years).