Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:55:02 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1988 Vanagon won't start
Comments: To: Leo Lipert <leolipert@GMAIL.COM>

well....... you could pull a spark plug or two to see if they are wet or dry. Wet would indicate there's fuel but it's flooded, or the spark plug/s are not firing.

or you could put a Noid Light on an injector wire and see if the ECU is energizing the injectors. I always do that immediately for a no start - in about 10 seconds it tells you if the ecu is firing the injectors.

you could check to make sure the distributor wasn't tightened properly and has turned, making timing much too retarded to run.

you could consider if it has a clogged cat .- though often it'll idle, but not rev, as apposed to won't start.

you could look for big air leaks., you could check that the temp sensor for the ecu is connected, and has a reasoanbly proper resistance reading ...

you could dribble some gasoline down the intake, and see if that makes it fire off. you could inspect in the fuel filter, to see what the fuel itself looks like, what junk or dirt is in the FF, and that it's not restricted. You could check fuel pressure with a guage.

And at least check for 12 volts ignition on at the coil. The ecu just became unplugged somehow ?

let us know what you find !

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leo Lipert" <leolipert@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 8:09 PM Subject: 1988 Vanagon won't start