Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:48:24 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning intake parts

Ry,

On the BMW forums, one person recommended using Simple Green to clean the idle control valve. I haven't had warm enough weather to do it yet, but will in the near future. I've cleaned the one on my van with carb cleaner and it worked pretty well. The BMW folks also suggest some kind of lubricant after cleaning to keep the butterfly valve from seizing up or being sticky, but I didn't do that on my van. I did use carb cleaner on my throttle body too, and it cleans it up well enough. I think I'd be careful not to get that stuff on the throttle switch; it'll probably have deleterious effects on the plastic [speculation]. I thought I would try the Simple Green because I'm concerned about putting all the nasty chemicals into the environment . . .

Good luck! Marc

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Ry <rylincoln@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > 1991 Vanagon Carat MT stock everything. > > I was wondering about cleaning the Idle Control Valve and various other > parts. (not the AFM as I just ordered a new one, was experiencing "vanagon > syndrome" before i removed this engine, figured I'd start fresh on the new > to me rebuilt motor)   Everything is pretty oily on the inside and very > grimy on the outside.  Parts I'm talking about cleaning include, throttle > body, Idle control valve, crankcase breathing tower(not sure of proper name > for this), > > I was thinking just some carb spray...any reason not to use this? > > also and sorry for not knowing the name of this part, but near the AFM there > is a single wire going to a part that is about the size of a 14mm long > socket It's hollow but D shaped inside, what is this? > > someday I'll answer a question as opposed to just asking them. > peace, > -Ry > http://www.google.com/profiles/rylincoln >