Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Mar 2010 20:21:11 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine is in, a new saga begins.
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

......must be the turd brown color that keeps campers from gathering around? ----- Original Message ----- From: B Feddish To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 6:03 PM Subject: Engine is in, a new saga begins.

I want to thank everyone for my continuing engine rebuild saga over the last 18 months. The engine I pulled at Chris's house, along with Ken's AMC heads and some Bus Depot parts have all been assembled and installed in the back of my '83. I really appreciate the encouragement of all those who said I could put it in myself and even those who offered to help. I even got some crazy low price offers from some list members but the logistics would not have worked. Yes, I seriously considered doing it myself but with 2 feet of snow, which is still covering my yard, and low temperatures I got really discouraged. Heating my garage would have been difficult and working what amounts to 2 jobs I'm short on time. I found a place called Savich's about an hour from me and estimated $900 in labor. It came out to be about $1,200 in labor since I stupidly sent Suburban Engine a block that was from an automatic and it came back all set for an automatic. I neglected to tell him I have a 4 speed. The van needed some other parts too and it was time for PA inspection also which brought the price higher.

As for the money I spent I am going to make up for that this spring by doing most of my own bodywork and painting. I want to do the whole van this time. I need to take the camping gear out and replace what amounts to the port side of a Bayliner with some real replacement panels. And yes, I am going to film myself talking out the camping gear, that should be pretty fun.

I never wanted to jinx myself but now I can finally admit it. My van never broke down on a trip over the last 14 years. Yeah, whenever I pull into a VW campout the sounds of a wasserbox peak everyone's ears and makes them get out of their chairs they quickly sit back down when they see that early 80's turd brown van pull in. Oh yeah, they jump up and gather around those shiny '91's with 55K miles on them, or the cool looking Syncro's with MB wheels but to hear the full story those conversation pieces often have a history of having the 5th head gasket job this summer or some other high dollar and maintaince issues. What I was thinking was everyone should be gathered around MY van in amazement, I paid $4,200 for it in '96 and it included a fresh rebuild and paint job. I then drove it for 14 years from NC to ME and was my daily driver for 5 years. Yeah, I've had my share of issues but none involved a 300 mile tow with Buford Buddcrack the tow truck driver. :) :) :)

I now have my old 1.9 which is getting cleaned up this weekend and is eBay bound.

Bryan