Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Mar 2010 23:26:43 -0700
From:         miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty Alternator Bracket
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I did the GW repair/upgrade, for a friend. It was pretty straight forward and the results seemed to be better than stock. Very solid fix that I put up there with some of the great upgrades like SS coolant manifold, SS thermostat housing, etc. It's great that vendors are actually improving these great rigs. How about that VanCafe shifter upgrade.....good stuff. Miguel

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > hi, > re > "Yes, the bolt goes thru both ears on the alternator, but on the > original bracket there were also front and rear ears too.  The new > bracket has only a rear piece which seems to me puts more lateral > stress on that lower bolt.  Time will tell." > > I hope it works out well. > Sure seems that having front and rear 'ears' on the bracket would be > important. > Even better would be a  solid tube with the 80 mm long bolt going though it, > and alternator fitting down over that tube . > > In gasoline engines there is less vibration and stress to deal with, so > stamped steel alternator brackets work 'well enough'.. > but for a serious alternator bracket...as used on diesel engines, only cast > iron brackets are strong enough - kinda interesting to me. > > On one 1.9 waterboxer engine of mine, someone had added a bracket on top of > the alternator, about 6 inches long, going forward to the coolant pipe > that's on top of a 1.9 wbxr engine.  Thought that was interesting too. > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Katy Hahn" <ahwahneevw@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 5:19 PM > Subject: Re: GoWesty Alternator Bracket > > >> Oops, I was referring to the length of the bolt -- should have said so >> I guess, the GoWesty instuctions just call it an '80mm bolt' (slightly >> longer than the original lower mounting bolt because of the way it >> threads into the new bracket).  As for the rest... >> >> On 3/5/10, Scott Daniel  - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >>>> >>>> Biggest design concern I have is that the bracket only offers a rear >>>> support (the original had support for the lower alternator mount both >>>> front and rear. >>> >>> I must not be understanding you. >>> surely, the bottom pivot bolt goes through both the front and the rear >>> 'mounting ears' of the alternator ! >> >> Yes, the bolt goes thru both ears on the alternator, but on the >> original bracket there were also front and rear ears too.  The new >> bracket has only a rear piece which seems to me puts more lateral >> stress on that lower bolt.  Time will tell. >> >> Geo >