Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:20:43 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pump Leak Advice
Comments: To: Bill Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>

Did you remove the oil filter and check the tightness of the nut that holds on the oil cooler ?

oil pump cover nuts are 13mm I beleive. Never had an oill leak there in any waterboxer engine ever, for whatever that is worth.

push rod tubes or seals ? ...with oil blowing back from air flow, like at speed ?

dark stuff on the side of the starter can be grease from having a bad CV joint Boot on the right inner CV.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Shawley" <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 6:21 PM Subject: Oil Pump Leak Advice

So I've been chasing down a small oil leak for some time now. First I suspected the oil cooler o-ring but after an inspection and cleanup I ruled that out (have spare o-ring ready just in case though). Cleaned up the case some more and was positive that the leak was from the oil pressure sender (the PIA one behind water pump), replaced the sensor and was positive that I had fixed it. After some driving I noticed the leak again and then winter came...... Started peaking around again today and I am almost sure it is the oil pump housing, the area between the pump plate and engine carrier is nasty. I'd like to try and tighten the cover nuts just a smidge, do a good cleanup and evaluate things for a while. 1986 2wd Westy

Some background, the oil drips after engine is hot from the left side of the bottom of engine, on long trips it will leave a film on the hatch. The top side of the engine is pretty clean and does not show signs of ongoing leakage. On another note the right side of starter and surrounding transmission area are covered in old oil, it looks almost like it is painted black. It is not "wet", any ideas where this is coming from (or came from)?

What size are the oil pump nuts? Any tricks to accessing them? Am I overlooking any other areas that the oil could be leaking from? 5 weeks till Wanee need to be ready to roll!

Ryan

_________________________________________________________________ Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/=