Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Mar 2010 18:18:49 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Restoration of 1991 Carat MT
Comments: To: Ry <rylincoln@GMAIL.COM>

Hi, I am currently under my 87 van with the engine and tranny ( and fuel tank out cause it is a Syncro). With all the room in the world to work check to see if there is any rust starting along the beams and the firewall.  if so I would recommend treating it now.  It require grining to clean metal and coating with the appropriate products.  I am putting POR15 but am waiting for the temperatures to rise a bit  in my garage. OK the other thing that is notoriously corroded is the brake lines coming off the T.  Check where the brake line is anchored to the firewall. There is a sharp 90 degree bend and road crap will easily lodge itself there.  If there was any salt on ther road it will be lodged there.  Replace the brake tubing while everything is out. I would take this opportunity to replace ALL the rubber fuel lines from the fuel tank to the fuel pump to the firewall.  Change the fuel filter also at this time.  The connector in the firewall is notorious for developing a crack and leaking, so check that out.  I would not worry about "rebuilding" the injectors.  If they worked fine before they will work the same when you put them back. Make sure that your replace or have a new seal behind the oil cooler.  make sure that the oil cooler is tight and torked against the engine.  Check out the little cooling metal pipes that supply the coolant to the oil cooler and make sure that they are clean and rust free. Make sure that the big pipe coming from the water pump to the thermostat housing is also in good shape, rust free and not pitted.  the little nipple off this pipe for the rear heater hose always develops a leak from the weld pitting.  If you notice this you can use JB Weld epoxy to plug this hole.  It has worked well for me. Put brand new senders while it is easy to do: Low Oil Pressure sender - between the pushrod tubes High Oil Pressure sender - below the water pump Temp2 sender in the thermostat housing - Just replace this, it will save you aggrevation. O2 sender in the cat - Just replace this, it will save you aggrevation.   Make sure that ALL electrical connections are crispy clean, not corroded, and ABSOLUTELY WELL GROUNDED.  Replace the ground harness that goes to the head from the firewall.  You are welcome to add any new ground wires where ever you want. I would also change the CV axles at this juncture unless you know that they are pretty fresh. I would also replace the ball and cup levers coming off the transmission to the shift rod. Good Luck, Happy Camping, Joel Cort Rochester NY jcort@rochester.rr.com joel_cort@yahoo.com 89 Syncro Westy (VanGo) 87 Syncro Transporter (Stella) 73 Westy Campmobile (Agent Orange) Western New York LiMBO Representative www.limbobus.org Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club www.empirevwcamping.org Westies@Watkins IX is set for October 7-8-9-10, 2010 www.westies-at-watkins.org ________________________________ From: Ry <rylincoln@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Mon, March 1, 2010 2:00:44 PM Subject: Restoration of 1991 Carat MT First time poster. I am in the middle of replacing the original engine and transmission in my 1991 Vanagon.  This is after long thought on putting a Subaru motor, however for cost reasons mostly I'm sticking with all VW for the next couple years. So far I've pulled both my engine and transmission out. I have a rebuilt transmission from Daryl at AA Transaxle( the core will be returned shortly! if you're reading Daryl)  I am waiting for my rebuilt engine to arrive. Things I have decided to replace while doing this. Fuel lines (all inside the engine compartment) fuel injector seals exhaust gasket distributor O-ring intake gaskets all water hoses clutch/pressure plate/release bearing Things i'm considering rebuilt injectors throttle body O2 sensor Cat(mine is rattling...not sure if this is normal) Any advice on other things to inspect/replace NOW while everything is out of the van? if you're bored here is my web album of progress http://picasaweb.google.com/rylincoln/Vanagon# -Ry http://www.google.com/profiles/rylincoln