Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 2010 15:53:56 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Use of VW Dealers computer
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@gmail.com>

Porsche - Audi - Volkswagen was very slow and generally a "johnny come lately" when it came to entering the "electronic catalog age" compared with other other automotive manufacturers. When I went to a Chevy dealership for parts for a Monte Carlo in 1992, not a single parts book was present in the parts department. Everything was computerized with 20 inch screens (GUI) - very impressive while VW still slogged along with fiche readers since 1974 with "obsolete" printed parts books at the ready for further information. The counterperson said they had been using their system for about 4 years and that their system covered every GM model clear back into the 40s including obsolete information. Not bad for a system that at the time required massive amounts of precious disc space, but then again, GM always spent money like a drunken sailor ;) Of course, today's programming and disc space require nothing more than a cheep PC purchased at Fry's Electronics (on sale of course). And like Mark said, they probably do their stuff on-line with a bank of servers in Detroit with a CD or DVD backup at the dealership.

The aftermarket parts market started with primarily the primitive Triad system and a few others. The Autozones, Advance Auto, Carquest, Parts Plus and O-Reilley's of today have more modern user friendly catalog interfaces, but most still use a combo of primitive DOS-like screens for inquiries, lists and invoice generation with somewhat of primitive imaging, but they're improving as they go along. Because of this, the printed parts catalogs and catalog racks of 30 years ago are still very much present in most of these FLAPS. In addition, having worked with a Triad-based system recently at a FLAPS, they're basically on line with a bank of servers at the regional warehouse and/or at corporate headquarters. A counterperson the day remarked how crazy it gets when their system goes down and they to resort to hand-written invoices along with a thick printed price list that have to be entered later on when the system comes back up. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 (No Name Yet) Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@gmail.com>wrote: