Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:20:34 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removed the front fan/heater core assembly.
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@cfu.net>

RE contact cement: my brother's 82 diesel with eberspacher diesel heater is the only setup I have ever seen or heard of that didn't have the snap-on plates to secure the foam. His actually glue in as there are no holes for the snap plates to even snap into. So, they obviously glue but with what I don't know. I have never seen a contact cement that help up under heat, and it IS a heater, after all....

As far as the foam, 1/4 inch is probably so thick that you'll never get it to seal, but I guess that would depend on how soft the foam is. I have used underfloor foam (cheap from a home store, but a little stiff) with some success; I have used craft foam from a craft store with better success (thinner and softer) and I have access to what my VW shop uses but have never actually used it. But it is avaialble. It's a 3M product apparently made for the task.

Jim

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@cfu.net> wrote: > You ight have a blower motor from the rear of the AC unit.  I think > they interchange, but haven't wired a new one up yet so I can't > help.  someone had a slick idea for the foam replacement, but I don't > remember what that was.  When I do mine, I will contact cement some > closed cell neoprene foam.  I can get the 1/4" and 1/2" stuff > readily, but 1/16" or 1/8" might be a better thickness.  If the 1/4" > will work for you, I have a lot of scraps laying around th eshop from > cano and kayak outfitting; free for the postage. > > DM&FS > > At 04:46 PM 3/7/2010, Jaime Forero wrote: >> >> OK, followed instructions posted on the net some time ago and removed the >> dash and the fan/htr core assembly.  Lots of cleaning to do, need to >> replace >> one of the vent cables.  The new motor has a connector with 2 wires, the >> old >> motor had no connector just 2 terminals: one single wire went to one >> terminal and a double yellow wire ending in one connector went to the >> second >> terminal. Any guess as to how to hook up the wires to the new  motor?? The >> foam insulation on the assembly is all gone.  Any leads as to what I can >> use >> to replace it?? >> The htr core seems to be OK, no signs of leaks or weeping but I am tempted >> to replace the unit since it is 19 years old. Any suggestions while I have >> the whole area open?? >> Cheers >> >> ____________________________________ >> Jaime Forero >> Siempre Adelante !!! >> jforero@sbcglobal.net >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> Alan Felder >> Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 4:32 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: How To Disable Steering Wheel Lock >> >> I keep my records with miles/dates on Google Docs, so I can access it from >> any internet connection.  I have also started to build a "narrative" with >> essentially the same information.  That's a text document and eventually I >> will import it into google docs or a webpage, etc. >> >> Paper reciepts are kept at home. >> >> >> >> >> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: >> >> > Hey Miguel! >> > >> > All aircraft have airframe and engine maintenance logbooks where ever >> > maintenance activity is recorded. Why not a Vanagon maintenance log book >> > kept in the glove box. >> >> >> >> >> > Alan Felder >> > Austin TX >> > 82 Diesel Westy >> > >