Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:52:17 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Fiberglass rear bumpers (vanagon)
Comments: To: parillamilt@aol.com

In a message dated 3/9/2010 11:40:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, parillamilt@AOL.COM writes:

So, can these bumpers be fixed by a body shop that is familiar with fiberglass? Could the weak looking bumper mounting points be fixed? I've seen aftermarket bumpers, but they have no appeal to me. While examining the bumper/bracket set-up, I came up with an idea. See if you guys think this will work. I was thinking of having a bodyshop weld a steel bar/bracket between the two bumper supports and then use the bracket as a new mounting point for the fiberglass bumper. Maybe use 3 to 4 ss carriage bolts to mount it with maybe some rubber sandwiched in between. ----Milt

of course. i fix them all the time with fiberglass matting and resin. you can fix them yourself..its not hard. remove the bumper, wash the back of it clean, and do all the repairs from behind.

and yes...you have the same idea that i already did to my wolfsburg van - between the 2 bumper brackets, i had a steel C channel angle iron welded to them....and from the bumper brackets out to the endcaps too.

this is all concealed behind the fiberglass bumper.. so basically i have a steel angle iron rear bumper, that goes under the fiberglass one.

looks stock, and a hell of a lot better than those FUGLY steel tube bumpers you see various vendors selling.