Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:51:49 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Upper COntrol Arm Bushing '85 GL
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

Jeff, take the arms off and take them to a local machine shop. They can press the old bushings out, press in the new ones, and tack weld them for you. Usually it is pretty inexpensive. Let me know if you need any more help.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Jeff Lincoln wrote: > Ok, so I knew before I picked Gertie up that she would need the Upper > COntrol Arm bushings replaced. Common issue - no problem. > > So I was doing some research and ran into an article at Go Westy - an exerpt > from that article here: > > *The next most common way an installation can go awry is specific to 2WD > A-arms. 2WD A-arms are made of stamped steel sheets. 4WD A-arms are crafted > from a thicker, forged design. To retain the bushing in the 2WD stamped arm, > it is necessary to use a small weld. It's a very small spot weld that is > required, followed by a quick quench in water right away before the plastic > part of the bushing melts. If your weld is too large, or if you do not > quench it quickly enough... heehaw heehaw heehaw. > * > I trust the experience there at Go Westy - so I'm not really questioning > this - but then again maybe I am :) (I know I'm confusing) > > So what's up with the spot weld scenario above? I don't get it. This also > means if I follow this that I can't do the replacement myself - because I > CAN'T WELD!! > > I don't know that I have an actual question here - I'd just like to hear > others opinion and experience with this I guess. Thanks in advance. > > -- > Thanks, > > Jeff > '85 GL (Gertie) > '90 Carat (Grover - the noble parts donor) > '86 (We call this one Scrap) > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus > >