Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:04:51 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: All Grown up with solder and shrink tubing
Comments: To: Bill Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>

I'd have to know more about the 6.5" speakers before I could comment intelligently. If it's a full range 6.5 or a 2way, then most of your high frequency sounds will get lost before they get to the driver's or passsenger's ears and they do no good for rear passengers either for the same reason. I have a pair of 8" sub woofers under my back seat in their own enclosed housings and I can't hear them while driving at highway speeds. I've been told that one 10" sub will do the same as 2 8", but eventually you run out of room as th diameter gets bigger.

I took my 6.5 separates system and cut the door sheet metal and mounted the woofers in the door and blew off the map pocket. All they do is crack anyway. I reinforced the woofers with a couple of really stiff carbon fiber panels I laminated and then riveted to the inboard side of the door panel. The tweeters are mounted in the door panel further up by the window. I guess I could've mounted the tweeters in their little housings up on the dash for better imaging, but the system sounds fine as it is. The 75 RMS watts x 4 amp sits under the passenger seat so the power wire to the battery is really short. If it was gong to burn up from inadequate ventilation, well it's been in there now for over 10 years and never even blown a fuse or had the thermocouples(?) kick in.

YMMV

DM&FS

At 03:25 PM 3/11/2010, Bill Shawley wrote: >Installed a new stereo in the van today, I was all proud of myself >for using a solder iron and shrink tubing when wiring the connector >plug to the existing wiring. I had to laugh when I was done and >realized the plug for my old JVC stereo is exactly the same as the >one for the Sony stereo I installed, I didn't have to rewire >anything had I paid attention! > > > >It is for the better though, things are much cleaner under the dash >and I did do away with a few shoddy bits of wiring. > > > >Has anyone mounted speakers in the rear hatch panel? I have some 6 >1/2 inch speakers I want to mount, I thought about the box under the >rear bench but I'm worried about all the crap I keep in there >damaging the speakers. > > > >Ryan > >_________________________________________________________________ >Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. >http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/