Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:11:42 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: All Grown up with solder and shrink tubing

I tried putting a pair of 6.5" speakers in the rear hatch of a small station wagon many years ago and it was no good at all. You had to drive them hard to even hear them since they were more than 10' away, with seats and such blocking the sound, which also caused a lot of varying frequency loss. If you aren't using an outboard amp you're probably going to get all kinds of distortion from overdriving the head amp, so even if you can hear it, it wouldn't sound good. Your passengers in the rear will get high-volume distorted noise and you in the driver's seat won't get much of anything. Also, putting two speakers in the same box nullifies the stereo imaging effect.

I was thinking about how they do speaker arrangements now in many modern cars; they seem to favor several smaller speakers around the cabin instead of the old way of banks of larger speakers which seems to be an attempt to duplicate what I tend to think of as a 60s/70s home speaker mentality. I noticed from somebody's pictures that VW had done that in the Eurovan.

I've been in minivans that had rear volume controls for small speaker sets near each seat row. I wonder if it wouldn't be more effective in a Vanagon to duplicate that, particularly given the stock setup in the front. I was thinking that better-quality stock-sized speakers in the front doors with satellite tweeters and similar arrangements in the various side panels in the back (with subs), with separate volume controls might be better than the old system of four larger speaker banks all controlled from the front.

Cya, Robert