Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:33:53 -0800
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bostig suspending AT kits
Comments: To: Mike South <msouth@gmail.com>

I think that's the way most of us are reading the situation Mike. I don't blame Jim for anything and don't for a minute believe that Bostig's at fault here. If I wanted a Zetec in my automatic I'd send money without hesitation.

Its like the situation with the Small Car bell housing for Subaru conversions. Professional converters still prefer to use the adapter plate and flywheel from Outfront Motorsports so as to avoid any problems related to opening the transaxle...

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Mike South <msouth@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Danny C. <bruiserbabie@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > I just read the wright up Jim posted on the Bostig web sight. I think > that > > to completely stop the Automatic coversion sales is a pretty serious move > to > > make being that its just 1 van having issues. Maybe its not the engine > > conversion. The bad thing is there are way to many different shops > involved. > > I have always heard great things about German Trans axle and when I used > to > > work at a VW shop that is where we got our transmissions. I think they > need > > to have Daryl at AA trans-axle send them one of his rebuilt auto > > transmissions and then see how it goes. The transmission that is having > > issues may be bad (un-rebuilable). I had my 1984 westy auto trans blow a > > torq converter seal with my 1.9L and when I had it replaced guess what? > The > > new seal leaked only 20 miles later, so I had to take it back and they > > warrantied it and replaced it again and has not dripped a drop > since.These > > vanagons are on the verge of being classified as antiques, Well at least > > classics. I think Bostig should at least offer the conversions to the > > consumer with a very limited warranty or some type of disclaimer to > protect > > them from this type of problem. > > > So are you saying something like this: > > "One possibility is to offer the auto again but in a lower development > status(I hate working backwards, but sometimes the rug gets pulled), > meaning > it's more risky, we offer it at a lower price, but with the full > understanding that there are risks we cannot account for fully at this > time, > and the customer has to explicitly take full responsibility for the results > of the conversion with regard to the transaxle should there be an > incident(we currently don't cover or warranty the work of others, but since > it's so unclear at this point what is happening, we will break our own > policies if we feel we need to)." > > http://www.bostig.com/bostig-official-calendar/244-auto-sales-suspension > > > > > > I know I would take that chance and worst case I would just have a manual > > transmission installed (problem solved) But for them to completely close > the > > door to the auto community is a drastic decision to make. > > > Can you explain how it is that you think they have completely closed the > door on the auto community? I'm not understanding that interpretation of > the situation. What I read on the website is that as a precautionary > measure they are suspending AT support until they know more. After all, in > the (at this point, seemingly _very_ unlikely) event that it is something > wrong with their setup, then the best thing they could do for the auto > community would be to quit shipping it, until they've addressed it, right? > So isn't it more correct to characterize this as them bending over > backward > to be responsible and do the right thing for the AT community? > > That's certainly the way I look at it, anyway, ignorant of these things > though I may be compared to the rest of y'all. > > mike > > > > > I think I am going to go ahead and do the Subaru 2.5 conversion. O-well. > > Its truly a shame that one bad apple has to ruin the bunch.... Just my 2 > > cents...... > > > > > > Danny C. > > '84 Westy (Vanny) > > > > > > > > --- On Thu, 3/11/10, Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > > > > From: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM> > > Subject: Re: Bostig suspending AT kits > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Date: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 5:06 PM > > > > > > OTOH, if he's going to re-offer the kit for a lower price as a trade-off > > for his liability disclaimers, that'll work out for the positive for > those > > folks that are more, shall I say, savvy than this one guy. Given Jim's > > apparent attention to detail and the feedback from current owners, I'd be > > willing to take the chance, if it really even is one. > > > > Cya, > > Robert > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of > > Loren Busch > > Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:44 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Bostig suspending AT kits > > > > RE: No More Bostig Kits for ATs > > > > Very disappointed to hear that as I have been figuring that I'd go that > > route when the time comes on my '90 Westy w/AT. And from the write up of > > the problem it seems that the decision is based on one problem, repeated, > > on > > one vehicle and the work done by one shop on one transaxle and one > engine. > > If they have not seen the same problem occurring with other installs then > > Bostig should be lauded for their overly cautious action on this but it > > still appears to be an isolated problem, isolated to that one vehicle and > > shop. > > > > > > > > > > >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie"

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27