Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:26:44 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: What adhesive to use on dash foil?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Dear Jim, At 10:23 AM 3/12/2010, Jim Felder wrote: >would like to repair bridge the gap with some of that window defroster >repair stuff that everybody talks about.

A flexible-circuit repair pen would be better. It's silver-based. The copper-based defroster-repair stuff is meant to repair heating elements and has a higher resistance accordingly. Check sources at <http://www.google.com/search?q=flex+circuit+repair+pen> Chemtronics is a highly reputable brand, incidentally.

> But, before I do, I need to >reattach several inched of loose copper that burned away from the >mylar backing as well as tidy up a few other places where the laminate >has rolled back at the edges.

For the loose edges, the first thing I'd try would be a household iron set to polyester, lots of pressure (use iron edge) and stay on it a good while. If that didn't give great results, see below on tape:

>Superglue would probably do a great job in the short run, but it would >probably not stay attached to the mylar. Any ideas of what to use for >this repair? Thin double stick tape?

Take a look at <http://www.tapecase.com/c.148.1.1/double-coated-tape-polyester-film.aspx>. Clearly whatever adhesive they're using on polyester tapes must stick to polyester ok. I'd recommend to check with either 3M or this outfit's application support people for advice on the best one to use. I suspect it will be one of the ones with acrylic adhesive. I'd also check with them to see if 3M Super 77 spray adhesive would be applicable -- it's definitely good stuff, like everything 3M does.

Yours, DAvid