Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:09:04 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Kitchen" table in Westies?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Don, nothing telescoping. all it is is a large "L" shaped pipe. In westy's it's a 'round L' ...as in a curved pipe, but, I have made my own . I just found a round pipe about 26 inches ( or whatever - that determines your table hight , plus whatever the bottom pivot on your tale takes up ) that fits into the hole in the cabinet, and will fit where the lock knob is, etc.

On top of that I welded a flat bar, or perhaps rectangular flat bar so it would have some strength and not be floppy ...and welded a short round piece onto the end of it - into which the round fitting on the bottom of the table will fit and pivot.

Note how far down your rear closet door extends. on early vans you had to move the table out of the way to just open the closet door. On later models they raised the bottom of the closet door, so you could open the closet door without moving the table out of the way - so factor that dimension in. In any case, I find the stock table to be a bit high ... so I would probably make it as low as I could get away with - good leg clearance when seated, and fits above the two bins doors of course.

Here's a little 'trick' to watch out for. You may notice that the large rear table can move and pivot far enough to hit the front of the stove. I have seen that area damaged before on westy's from the table hitting it .. and worse - , I read about a case where a Westy driver noticed the smell of propane, while driving. The table knob wasn't tightened down .... the table swung around and turned on one of the stove propane knobs !! In flight ... Wow. I don't think it's that smart to have the main propane tank on while driving anyway, unless one is using that to operate the fridge.

but it's not too hard to do - make your own table and support leg. The bottom of the table needs a round post sticking down off course, for the pivot point.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 1:25 PM Subject: "Kitchen" table in Westies?