Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:37:37 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: No fly-by-wire in MY vanagon.

Wow, you feel strongly about this. People ARE dead, and there is evidence that Toyota built a bad system, knew about it after the fact, kept building it, and covered it up. I really doubt the floormat problem was Toyota's fault, since the cases reported, individuals had put other materials besides the floormat on the floor, or they had stacked two or more mats one on the other. But if the pedal sticks, floormat not involved, that is a bad system, and Toyota said the pedal sticks. If it is not the pedal, but is electronic, that is bad too.

Because I trust that I know cars well enough to get mine stopped if it surges doesn't mean there is no problem. BTW, turning off the key is not so direct with the electronic systems. The stop button must be held down for several seconds if the car is running. Putting into neutral with the Prius while moving requires moving the shift lever toward reverse, then to neutral, not an intuitive move. I believe that should be changed. Btw, the Prius is the first car I've ever owned that I felt emotionally committed to -- most cars to me have always been simply utilitarian -- that includes my Vanagon camper. It serves its function, getting me to the camping place and camping.

I suppose you believe that Ford had no problems with transmissions spontaneously jumping into reverse, though placed in park. However, many Fords did that, and were examined and found to have done it. My sister's new Ford van jumped into reverse, knocked her down with the open door, and ran over her. She was bruised badly but suffered no broken bones or internal injuries. When the car was examined, mechanical linkages between the shift lever and the transmission were found to be loose and the thing would vibrate from park to another gear when idling.

Now, I think my sister was at fault for not setting the brake, for leaving the vehicle idling while unloading cargo, and so on. But, the car ran over her.

David Mc

---- David Marshall <mailinglist@FASTFORWARD.CA> wrote: > It's all crap. 110% crap. > > There is no concrete proof of Audi > with unattended acceleration - 60 Minutes blew that out of proportion. > > Yes, Toyota is having stuck accelerator issues which is > solved.  Some technicians have INCORRECTLY INSTALLED some of the > fixes and that's not the error of drive by wire or Toyota.  I have to > LAUGH at the people who call into 911 and say their car is racing out of > control down the highway.  Do they do it for their 90 seconds of fame > on CNN?  If for some reason your accelerator pedal is stuck what's > wrong with turning OFF the ignition key or if it is a push button stop and > that doesn't work, put the car in NEUTRAL so the owner can apply the > brakes and stop!?  So freaking obvious if you ask me! > > None of these Toyota issues are from drive by wire accelerator pedals - > or at least the FUNCTION of drive by wire - they are all MECHANICAL > issues.  > > None of these issues are truly as big as they > are Fox and CNN have to sell advertising and there for they blow up a > small or regular sized story into a supersized one so they they can > ENTERTAIN you from other people's misfortune. > > I had my > wasserboxer accelerator pedal stick before - water got into it and froze > and the engine wouldn't stop revving.  I guess I should have called > my lawyer and then CNN and made a big fuss out of it.  That same > issue will never happen with the drive by wire pedal I have now.  I > did have a pedal break on me before - splashed it, it got water inside of > it and the computer when ERROR and stopped recieving input from the pedal > and made the engine idle at 950 rpm - good plan Bosch / Volkswagen!  > No crash, no sudden stop, no acceleration just a controlled no more pedal > input and I could safely go to the side of the road.  No CNN, no > lawyers, no police or faux drama. > > Do you fly?  Boeing and > Airbus for well over a decade is now fly by wire.  Perhaps that's why > those planes flew into the world trade centers?   Quick - call > CNN - there's a connection there! > > David Marshall > VW > Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider > > HasenWerk > http://www.hasenwerk.ca > > On Sat, March 13, 2010 08:44, Al > Knoll wrote: > > With all the kerfluffle over unintended > acceleration, I'm sure glad > > that my van is NOT fly by wire > throttle control. Remembering the Audi > > stuff long ago, it seems > it was decided that the problem ONLY occurred > > in AUDIs with > automatic transmissions. Kinda like pouring coffee in > > your > nether regions and claiming it was the coffee sellers fault. > > > > More here > > > > http://tinyurl.com/yzm2rb2 > > > > > Sometimes simple is best. (not referring to group members, > just in > > general) > > > > Pensionerd. (has > removable passenger side airbag) > >